The spicy bite of crystallized ginger pairs perfectly with the faintly peppery taste of amaranth in these gluten-free muffins. For the best results when making gluten-free breads and muffins, start with a blend of flours and starches like the mix of amaranth flour, potato starch, and tapioca flour suggested in this recipe.
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons molasses (not blackstrap)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2/3 cup amaranth flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspooon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon each grated nutmeg and ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1. Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Generously grease a 12-cup or 6-cup gray nonstick muffin pan or line with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed until light yellow and frothy, about 30 seconds. Add the milk, oil, molasses, and vanilla and beat on low speed until well blended.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. With the mixer on low speed, gradually beat the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients until the batter is smooth and slightly thickened. Gently stir in the crystallized ginger and walnuts. Divide the batter evenly in the muffin pan.
4. Make the crust: In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and ground ginger and sprinkle evenly on the batter.
5. Bake the larger muffins 35 to 40 minutes or the smaller muffins for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Cool the muffins in the pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove the muffins from the pans and cool completely on the wire rack. Serve slightly warm.
Recipe courtesy of Carol Fenster, from 100 Best Gluten-Free Recipes.
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories: 140 , Total Fat: 4 g, (Saturated Fat: 0 g), Sodium: 170 mg, Carbohydrate: 24 g, Fiber: 0 g, Protein: 1 g.
serving size: 1 muffin