- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
Prep time20 minutes
Total time3 hours
Serving Size1 slice - 1/16 loaf (56g)
2 ½ tsp instant yeast
¾ to 1 cup lukewarm water*
½ cup orange juice
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 ½ tsp salt
2 Tbsp honey
¼ cup dry milk or nonfat dry milk
2 cups unbleached bread ﬂour
1 cup whole wheat ﬂour, traditional or white whole wheat
1 cup Ancient Grains Blend
1 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
*Use the lesser amount of water in summer (or in humid conditions), the greater amount in winter (or in dry conditions), and something in between the rest of the time.
- Combine all of the ingredients, mixing and kneading to form a smooth, slightly sticky dough.
- Cover and let rise in a warm spot for about an hour, until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased surface, shape it into a 8” x 4” log, and put it into a lightly greased 8 ½” x 4 ½” bread pan, gently ﬂattening it to ﬁll the pan
- Cover the pan and allow the loaf to rise till it’s crested about 1” over the rim of the pan.
- Bake the bread in a preheated 375°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, tenting with foil after about 20 minutes, to prevent over-browning. Remove from the oven when it’s golden brown, and its interior temperature registers 190°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- After 5 minutes, turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.
Recipe and photo ©2006 The King Arthur Flour Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Check out the King Arthur Flour Company websitefor other bakers’ comments on this recipe.