Ancient Grains Bread
King Arthur Flour Company
The addition of orange juice to the dough enhances the earthy flavor of our new Ancient Grains Blend – a mix of amaranth, millet, sorghum and quinoa.
2 1/2 tsp instant yeast
3/4 to 1 cup lukewarm water*
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp honey
1/4 cup dry milk or nonfat dry milk
2 cups unbleached bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour, traditional or white whole wheat
1 cup Ancient Grains Blend
1 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
*Use the lesser amount of water in summer (or in humid conditions), the greater amount in winter (or in dry conditions), and something in between the rest of the time.
1. Combine all of the ingredients, mixing and kneading to form a smooth, slightly sticky dough.
2. Cover and let rise in a warm spot for about an hour, until doubled in size.
3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased surface, shape it into a 8" x 4" log, and put it into a lightly greased 8 ½" x 4 ½" bread pan, gently flattening it to fill the pan
4. Cover the pan and allow the loaf to rise till it's crested about 1" over the rim of the pan.
5. Bake the bread in a preheated 375°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, tenting with foil after about 20 minutes, to prevent over-browning. Remove from the oven when it's golden brown, and its interior temperature registers 190°F on an instant-read thermometer.
6. After 5 minutes, turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.
©2006 The King Arthur Flour Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Check out the King Arthur Flour Company websitefor other bakers' comments on this recipe.
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories: 150, Total Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Sodium: 170mg, Carbohydrate: 27g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 5g
serving size: 1 slice - 1/16 loaf (56g)