Three Grain Pan Rolls
Taste of Home magazine
These tasty little dinner rolls get their name from the three whole grain ingredients - bulgur, oats, and whole wheat flour - and because they bake in round cake pans. They're easy to make and are out of the oven in almost no time at all. The seeds on top add flavor and fun crunch!
2 cups water
1/2 cup bulgur wheat
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup honey
2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp. each celery seed, fennel seed, and sesame seeds
1 tsp. poppy seeds
1. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the oats, honey, eggs, salt, pepper, cooked bulgur and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until elastic, about 6-8 minutes (mixture will be lumpy). Place in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 22 pieces. Roll each into a ball. Brush two 9-in. round baking pans with some of the oil.
5. Arrange 11 balls in each pan; brush tops with remaining oil. Combine the celery seed, fennel seed, sesame seeds and poppy seeds; sprinkle over rolls. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
6. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks and let cool to store or serve warm.
Nutrition Facts per serving: Calories - 157, Total Fat - 3g, Cholesterol - 21mg, Sodium - 227mg, Total Carbohydrate - 29g, Dietary Fiber - 2g, Protein - 5g.
serving size: 1 roll