- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
Prep time15 minutes
Total time55 minutes
Yield1 large round loaf, 10 to 12 inches in diameter
4 cups whole wheat pastry ﬂour
2 to 3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 ½ cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp vegetable oil or melted butter
1. In a large bowl, stir together the ﬂour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
2. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk and the oil or butter. Stir together until blended—some lumps will remain.
1. Turn the dough out onto a ﬂoured board and knead about 10 times, or until it all holds together.
2. Form it into a large ball and place it on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cut a deep cross in the top.
1. Bake the bread in a preheated 400°F oven for approximately 40 minutes, or until it tests done (a cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean.)
© 2009 The King Arthur Flour Company. All Rights Reserved.
Check out the King Arthur Flour Company website for other bakers’ comments on this recipe.
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories: 150 , Total Fat: 2.5 g, (Saturated Fat: 0 g), Sodium: 300 mg, Carbohydrate: 27 g, Fiber: 4 g, Protein: 4 g.
Recipe and photo courtesy of King Arthur Flour Company.