Although it might sound strange at first, adding bulgur to your hamburgers guarantees a unique texture and taste. Try this recipe with ground turkey or chicken, or try the Bulgur Meat Loaf variation included in the directions!
1 cup bulgur wheat
2 cups water
1 lb. ground beef
1 small onion, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Combine bulgur and water, cover, and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
2. Mix the cooked bulgur with the remaining ingredients and knead as you would dough, until all the ingredients are thoroughly blended. Add water if mixture seems dry, and dip hands in water frequently to aid kneading.
3. Form mixture into 4 patties and fry until brown and cooked through.
Variation: Bulgur Meat Loaf
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare and knead mixture as above, then mold the blended mixture into a well-greased meat loaf pan (approx. 9"x5").
2. Spoon tomato sauce or steak sauce over loaf, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 20 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake an additional 15 minutes. Remove foil and allow to sit in over for 10 minutes.
Courtesy of Heartland Brands.
makes: 4 patties