Herbed Quinoa Cakes
Karen Mansur, Oldways and the Whole Grains Council
Crisp on the outside and tender on the inside, these little patties will quickly become a favorite. Serve them as an appetizer or for lunch over a bed of baby greens, they are even better with a tangy sauce like a Red Pepper or Lemon Aioli.
2 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
5 large eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped kale (or spinach)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/3 cup crumbled feta
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
1/2 cup panko crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Combine the quinoa, eggs and salt in a medium bowl.
3. To a food processor, add herbs and spices, onion, kale and garlic; process until finely minced. Stir the onion-kale mixture into the quinoa.
4. Add feta, whole wheat breadcrumbs and baking powder, stir and let it sit for 5 minutes so the crumbs can absorb the moisture.
5. Form into two-inch balls, roll in panko crumbs, flatten slightly and arrange on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, turn and bake another 5 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories: 110 , Total Fat: 3.5 g, (Saturated Fat: 1 g), Sodium: 200 mg, Carbohydrate: 15 g, Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 6 g.
serving size: 1 patty