- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
What we like best about Whole Grain Sampling Day is that our participating partners all plan their own activities and promotions, and each one is diﬀerent. Here’s what will be happening on April 1, 2015, partner by partner (in alphabetical order):
AICR is spotlighting the connection between whole grains and cancer prevention by: creating a whole grain quiz, featuring research studies and whole grain recipes, and promoting Whole Grain Sampling Day on social media.
For Whole Grain Sampling Day, select locations of Canada’s Atlantic Superstore will be hosting a whole grain event, complete with recipe demos, educational materials, prizes, and more! See below for details:
- Atlantic Superstore New Minas: 9064 Commercial St., New Minas, NS (Tuesday, March 31 from 1-4pm: whole grain recipe demo, prizes, and educational materials)
- Atlantic Superstore Windsor: 11 Cole Dr, Windsor, NS (Wednesday, April 1 from 2-6pm: whole grain recipe demo, prizes, and educational materials)
On Whole Grain Sampling Day, Barbara’s will be oﬀering a one-day sale on all of their whole grain products ordered on http://shop.barbaras.com/, free shipping on any size orders plus 20% oﬀ your total purchase!
Boston University will have a special Whole Grain Sampling Day event at the GSU during lunchtime on April 1. Students can look forward to learning about the beneﬁts of whole grains, where to ﬁnd whole grains on campus, as well as lots of free whole grain samples! Additionally, BU will be having Sargent Choice night at the dining halls, meaning that the dinner menus will feature an extra special selection of whole grain menu items.
Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, where a corps of dedicated dietitians educates patients about healthy eating all year long, will be putting extra attention on whole grains and distributing samples for Whole Grain Sampling Day, during a belated Whole Grain Sampling Day celebration on Wednesday, April 8.
C&S Wholesale Grocers is oﬀering its independent grocery retailers support to plan in-store activities for Whole Grain Sampling Day. Stop by participating stores to learn about whole grain products, sample whole grain recipes, and test your whole grain knowledge with a trivia contest. See below for some of the participating stores:
- Nell’s Shurﬁne Markets — in York, PA and Carlisle, PA
- Saubel’s Shurﬁne Market — in Shrewsbury, PA
- Oregon Dairy — in Lititz, PA
- John Herr’s Village Market — in Millersville, PA
- Gould’s ShurSave Supermarket — in Conyngham, PA
The Student Dietetic Association at California State University Los Angeles is planning a campus tabling initative to educate students about whole grains and provide whole grain samples. They are also hoping to incorporate a special whole grain menu in the cafeteria.
Carl Brandt will be hosting a Whole Grain Sampling Day sweepstakes on their Facebook page.
Chadwick R-1 School District in Chadwick, MO, has lots of great promotions planned for Whole Grain Sampling Day. The cafeteria will have a special quirky menu featuring whole grain recipes and will be decorated with balloons and whole grain posters, a morning announcement on the PA will remind students that it’s Whole Grain Sampling Day, and a trivia contest for high school students may take place — with whole grain prizes.
For Whole Grain Sampling Day, ALL 29 COBORN’S STORES AND 5 OF THE CASH WISE LOCATIONS plan to feature whole grain recipes for diﬀerent whole grain products. Select locations will also have a whole grain demo event featuring diﬀerent whole grain recipes.
columbus Regional Hospital (Columbus, IN)
Columbus Regional Hospital will be holding a belated Whole Grain Sampling Day celebration on Thursday, April 16 from around 11:30-1. The cafeteria will feature special whole grain menu items, and will be oﬀering samples to encourage people to try it. There will also be a table with educational information about whole grains, and a possible trivia contest.
As they have in past years, Compass – the world’s largest foodservice operator – will be giving away tasting samples, oﬀering specials, and holding cooking demos at scores of its school, workplace and healthcare sites. Compass is even featuring Whole Grains as the “Superfood of the Month” for the entire month of April!
Earth Fare Markets, with 35 locations throughout the Midwest and Southeast, will be celebrating Whole Grains Sampling day by sampling MagNoodles multi whole grain pasta on April 4, as well as educating consumers on the beneﬁts of whole grains.
Franciscan St Anthony Health Michigan City is celebrating Whole Grain Sampling Day by oﬀering a whole grain menu breakfast item, lunch and dinner entrée, soup, salad and dessert in the cafeteria. They will also oﬀer participants chance to win a whole grain cookbook with purchase of any whole grain menu item, and provide nutritional information regarding including whole grains in healthy eating pattern.
Genghis Grill, a make-your-own-stir-fry restaurant with 105 locations in 23 states, is incorporating WGSD into their 5th annual Health Kwest Challenge. On April 1st, each contestant in the 2015 Challenge will try a Genghis Grill whole grain option, and post a photo and blog entry about it to earn points toward winning the Challenge.
Once again, Google is celebrating Whole Grain Sampling Day in a big way, by taking it global! Google will be serving up delicious recipes and hosting engaging whole grain activities in their cafes around the world. Whole grains play an important role in fueling and helping Googlers be their best every day at work. This year, Google hopes to inspire even more experimentation and creativity with whole grains in the home kitchen as well.
Every day is Whole Grain Sampling Day at Gourmet Any Day Market & Café, 60 Friend Street, in Amesbury, MA, where whole grains are always on the menu. Look for choices like Whole Wheat Couscous with Roasted Vegetables, Edamame Wild Rice, or Lemony Kale & Quinoa, or whole wheat wraps. New whole grain salads starting April 1 will be Garden Wheatberry with crisp cucumbers, tomatoes, carrot, chickpease and basil, and Santa Fe Millet tossed wtih corn and red pepers, black beans and scallions. Mention Whole Grain Sampling Day on April 1 (10am to 6pm) for a free taste of any grain salad.
The Grain Foods Foundation will celebrate Whole Grain Sampling Day by promoting whole grains on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter (@GrainFoods and @GrainsRD). Check out their social media pages to join the fun!
Grain Place Foods, a manufacturer of delicious, organic whole grains, will be celebrating Whole Grain Sampling day on Monday, April 6, with an educational event for restaurants and chefs. Participants will tour the plant, learn about the beneﬁts of whole grains, learn new whole grain recipes and how to incorporate whole grains into menus, and of course, sample whole grains.
To celebrate Whole Grain Sampling Day, Grainful, a company that makes savory frozen entrees with steel cut oats, sampled their exciting new products at a variety of stores in the Boston area.
Healthy Dining Finder is promoting WGSD to consumers with… blogs on the Healthy Dining Finder website… promotion in their e-newsletter, linking to the blogs … social media promotion. They’ll also promote WGSD to restaurants with outreach and social media promotion, urging restaurants to participate.
The Home Baking Association found that more than ⅔ of the educators they surveyed would like to incorporate more whole grains into their recipes, so the Home Baking Association is promoting Whole Grain Sampling Day to their members on their blog and in their newsletter.
This employee-owned grocery chain will be planning whole grain promotional events, including education and sampling, at select Hy-Vee stores. See below for some of the participating stores:
- Bettendorf Hy-Vee: 2900 Devils Glen Road, Bettendorf, IA (April 1 Sampling Day event from Noon-4 p.m.)
- Burlington #2 Hy-Vee: 3140 Agency St, Burlington, IA (April 1 Sampling day event in the HealthMarket 3-5PM)
- Coralville Hy-Vee (Lantern Park Plaza): 1914 8th St, Coralville, IA (April 1 Whole Grain recipe demo 3-6PM)
- Davenport West Kimberly Hy-Vee: 2200 West Kimberly Road, Davenport, IA (Sampling event on April 2nd from 3-6pm with a variety of diﬀerent whole-grain recipes and a raﬄe to win a gift basket full of whole-grain goodies)
- Fitchburg Hy-Vee: 2920 Fitchrona Rd, Fitchburg, WI (pasta sampling featuring Rozoni pasta during the week of April 1)
- Grinnell Hy-Vee: 320 West St S, Grinnell, IA 50112 (April 1 whole grain samples in the HealthMarket and meat dept, and signage throughout store informing customers of diﬀerent whole grain options)
- Lenexa Hy-Vee: 13400 W 87th St, Lenexa, KS (Wednesday, April 1 from 3-6PM learn to make a ‘Ruby Wild Mandarin Bowl’, a delicious whole grain recipe! It is also Wellness Wednesday, so look for great savings on healthy whole grain products throughout the HealthMarket)
- Lincoln #2 Hy-Vee (Northern Lights Hy-Vee): 1601 N. 84th St (April 1 Whole Grain Recipes and Samples in the Health Market 4-6PM)
- Milan Hy-Vee: 201 West Tenth Avenue, Milan, IL (April 1 Sampling Day Table with food samples and information from 1-4 p.m.)
- Newton Hy-Vee: 1501 1st Avenue East (April 1 sampling day event with sprouted whole grains, 3-6PM)
- O Street Hy-Vee: 5010 O St, Lincoln, NE (April 1, 4:30-6PM taste and learn new whole grain recipes)
- Omaha Hy-Vee: 180th & Paciﬁc St, Omaha, NE (April 1 whole grain recipe demo and sampling from 11am-1pm, and 3-5pm)
- Omaha #2 Hy-Vee: 1491 Stony Brook Blvd, Omaha, NE (April 1 event with whole grain samples, tips, recipes, and coupons, noon-4PM in the HealthMarket)
- Prairie Village Hy-Vee: 7720 State Line Rd, Prairie Village, KS (April 1, 4-6PM sample whole grains and learn how to incorporate them into your diet)
- Riverfront Hy-Vee: 410 South Riverfront Dr, Mankato, MN (April 1, 3-7PM learn about about the diﬀerent whole grain options at the store, and sample the new Ruby Wild Ancient Grain blend)
- Rock Island Hy-Vee: 2930 18th Avenue, Rock Island, IL (Sampling event on Wednesday, April 1 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. featuring the Hy-Vee Select Ruby Wild Blend in the Ruby Wild Mandarin Bowl recipe. Sampling may continue on April 2 and 3, depending on how quickly we sell out!)
- Springﬁeld Hy-Vee: 2115 S MacArthur Blvd, Springﬁeld, IL
InHarvest, suppliers of heirloom grains to foodservice and retail, is contributing whole grain samples to retailers including Coborn’s and HyVee, and is also donating to sampling events at the Omaha Tribe of Nebraska and Cal State Los Angeles. In addition, Coleen Donnelly, Corporate Chef K-12 segment, will be sampling InHarvest’s whole grain bars at an Oakland, CA elementary school on Whole Grain Sampling Day.
The Dining staﬀ at Jenkins White Elementary in Augusta, GA, is planning a special whole grains promotion in cafeterias, complete with special menu items, and promotional buttons and stickers for students.
To celebrate Whole Grain Sampling Day, all 146 King Soopers/City Market will be launching a self-guided whole grains scavenger hunt, which will be available to customers for the entire month of April. Game cards to participate in the hunt will be available at the front of the store, near a sign promoting the hunt, and participants that successfully complete the scavenger hunt will receive a coupon for a free whole grain product (only while supplies last). Additionally, on Whole Grain Sampling Day itself, all 146 King Soopers/City Market Bakeries will be sampling their Simple Truth multigrain bread, and the company will also give whole grains a shout out in their ad wraps, Facebook, and Twitter to build event more excitement. Also on April 1, at a Fort Collins King Soopers store, the King Soopers/City Market Dietitians will also be actively recruiting participants for our scavenger hunt and giving out Lotus Rice sample packs and local brand KeenOne Quinoa will be giving out delicious samples.
At the La Brea Bakery in Los Angeles (468 South La Brea Ave), La Brea will be featuring two new special menu items on whole grain bread: a Whole Wheat Panini (La Brea Whole Wheat Honey Bread with apple smoked bacon, white cheddar cheese, and fresh red onions) and a Turkey Bacon on Multigrain (La Brea Multigrain Bread with turkey, apple smoked bacon, fresh spinach, and a dijonnaise spread). La Brea will also be participating in sampling events at various local supermarkets.
Martin’s Super Markets in Northern Indiana and Southwest Michigan plan to celebrate Whole Grain Sampling Day with in-store sampling stations in ALL 21 STORES! They also plan to oﬀer educational information and recipes, and promote Whole Grain Sampling Day in their weekly ad circular and on social media.
For Whole Grain Sampling Day, Maschio’s Food Services will be oﬀering special whole grain menu items in their cafeteria! See details below:
- North Plainﬁeld School District (Plainﬁeld, NJ): Whole grains are already on the menu, but for WGSD Maschio’s will be oﬀering special whole grain menu items including a ‘taste of quinoa salad’. Middle/High Schools will be served a Buﬀalo Chicken Sandwich on a Whole Grains Roll and K-6 will be served Whole Wheat Spaghetti & Meat Sauce. Special celebration prizes will be Whole Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- Harding Schools (New Vernon, NJ): Wednesdays are a local pizzeria day, but in addition Maschio’s will be serving freshly made Caesar Salad with Whole Grain Croutons with a “Taste of Quinoa Salad.” Whole grain cookies will be a prize.
On Whole Grain Sampling Day, McDonald’s USA will tweet about their menu choices made with whole grain on @McDonalds, such as the Egg White Delight and Fruit & Maple Oatmeal.
Merchant Gourmet, one the UK’s largest suppliers of ready to eat grains, is taking Whole Grain Sampling Day international! Merchant Gourmet will launch a social media campaign in the run up to the day, and are also going to be running a special promotion on their website (however, they only deliver in the UK), and possibly a competition.
The NRA will promote whole grains in kids’ meals through their Kids Live Well program and through social media.
For Whole Grain Sampling Day, select locations of Niemann Foods/County Market will be hosting a whole grain event, complete with recipe demos, coupons, educational displays, and more! See below for details:
- Springﬁeld County Market: 3001 Veterans Parkway Springﬁeld, IL (April 1, 11am-12:30pm near the Produce and Deli department, the Live Well Team will be passing out samples of Quinoa Tabbouleh with Chickpeas & Feta Cheese along with the recipe card and $1 oﬀ coupons from Ancient Harvest company. They will also oﬀer a cold version of their Whole Grain Caprese pasta recipe for people to sample, and have a display of Whole Grain products to educate customers about how to read food labels.)
- Decatur County Market: 1175 West Grand Avenue Decatur, IL (A few weeks after Whole Grain Sampling Day, on Tuesday, April 28, from 12-1pm, either in produce or near the Deli department or possibly outside, the team will be promoting whole grain alternatives for cooking out, as well as oﬀering whole grain samples and coupons.)
OFS Optics (AVon, CT)
Whole Grain Sampling Day isn’t just for the food industry! OSF Optics will be oﬀering information to their employees on how easy it is to ﬁt Whole Grains into their diets, as well as whole grain foods sampling (such as locally made whole grain tortilla chips, quinoa salad….and more)!
To celebrate Whole Grain Sampling Day, the Registered Dietitian for the Omaha Tribe of Nebraska will teach the community about the beneﬁts of whole grains, provide whole grain samples, and lead a whole grain cooking demonstration.
Panda Express will be promoting their steamed brown rice on social media for Whole Grain Sampling Day.
Many of the 57 schools in Richmond County (in Augusta, GA) will be participating in Whole Grain Sampling Day by promoting whole grain choices in the cafeteria with posters, prizes, and decorations. Select schools are also planning a whole grain sampling activity, to allow students vote for their favorite whole grain choices to carry in the cafeteria!
Rubio’s, with nearly 200 restaurants on the West Coast of the U.S., will be celebrating Whole Grain Sampling Day by oﬀering $1 oﬀ any Burrito served on a whole grain tortilla or $1 oﬀ any Two Taco Plate served on stone-ground corn tortillas for their Facebook fans, so “like” Rubio’s on Facebook today and make sure you don’t miss out.
ShopRite Dietitians will have a whole grains demo event at select stores, with a possible whole grain store tour and sampling event in the works. See below for some of the participating stores:
- ShopRite of Chatham: 641 Shunpike Rd, Chatham, NJ (April 1 sampling activities featuring Jovial gluten-free penne and Bob’s Red Mill quinoa, as well as a ‘guess the grain’ game with prizes, 10AM-noon and 4:00-6:00PM)
- ShopRite of Fair Lawn: 1717 River Road, Fair Lawn, NJ
- ShopRite of Hillsborough: 601 U.S. 206, Hillsborough, NJ (April 1 whole grain trivia and sampling, educational information on whole grains, and a whole grain shopping list to aid shoppers)
- ShopRite of Mansﬁeld: 1965 Route 57 & Allen Rd, Hackettstown, NJ (Friday, April 3 sampling from 10-1, also sampling on Saturday April 4, and employee whole grains event on Thursday, April 2)
- ShopRite of Washington: 2 Clubhouse Dr, Washington, NJ (April 1 sampling whole grain products, as well as whole grain salad and side dishes throughout the day)
- ShopRite of Warton: 314 Route 15, Warton, NJ
Connecticut & Pennsylvania
- ShopRite of Enﬁeld: 40 Hazard Ave, Enﬁeld, CT
- ShopRite of Wallingford: 846 N Colony St, Wallingford, CT
- ShopRite of Aramingo: 3745 Aramingo Ave, Philadephia, PA (April 9 Easter-themed sampling featuring Arnold bread from 12-2, April 7 whole grain pasta sampling featuring Barilla from 12-2)
For Whole Grain Sampling Day, Subway is planning an exciting local promotion! At a Subway restaurant in downtown Boston (114 Tremont St), Subway will be chatting with customers about the health beneﬁts of whole grains, and promoting their 9-Grain Whole Wheat Bread. Subway may even have a few surprises in store, so if you’re in the Boston area around lunchtime, order a whole wheat sub and come see what the excitement is about!
This bakery specializes in handcrafted, satisfying and delectable baked goods, all of which are made with whole grain ﬂours! Sweet Sassy Molassy will be celebrating Whole Grain Sampling Day again this year by oﬀering a special discount on April 1, and the week leading up to WGSD.
Family Nutrition Program educators at select schools will incorporate whole grain education into their lesson plans for the day, and also pass out whole grain stickers and whole grain samples. Other schools in the program will also be doing a whole grain taste test.
Whole Grain Sampling Day will be a wonderful weeklong celebration at WakeMed Cary Hospital! From March 30 to April 3rd, the hospital cafeteria will celebrate whole grain week, focusing on a diﬀerent whole grain menu item each day. Expect to see extra activities and food samples around Whole Grain Sampling Day.
The Dietitian at this Washington, NC doctors oﬃce will have whole grain stickers, handouts, and samples available for patients, and will educate patients about incorporating whole grains into their diet.
On Whole Grain Sampling Day, Way Better Snacks will be introducing a new whole grain product on social media, and will be oﬀering a one-day 50% sale on their whole grain products in their online shop! Way Better Snacks will also be holding a sampling and demo at select Whole Foods Market Stores in the Boston area (Ink Block South End 3-7pm, Fresh Pond 11am-3pm, and Newtonville 11am-2pm), as well as donating to other Whole Grain Sampling Day promotions at Boston University, ShopRite, Hy-Vee, and King Sooper’s.
For Whole Grain Sampling Day, select stores will be featuring whole grain samples, and educating on the beneﬁts of whole grains. See below for details:
- Mercer Square Shopping Center, 73 Old Dublin Pike, Doylestown, PA (Thursday, April 9 whole grain product sampling and information)
On Whole Grain Sampling Day, the Wheat Foods Council will be promoting whole wheat on social media (@wheatfoods).
Select Whole Foods Market stores will have whole grain product samplings. See below for details:
- Ink Block South End: 348 Harrison Ave, Boston, MA (3-7PM Way Better Snacks Sampling & Demo, noon-2PM Popcorn Indiana Sampling & demo)
- Fresh Pond: 200 Alewife Brook Pkwy, Cambridge, MA (11AM-3PM Way Better Snacks Sampling & Demo, noon-2PM Popcorn Indiana Sampling & demo)
- Newtonville: 647 Washington St, Newtonville, MA (11AM-2PM Way Better Snacks Sampling & Demo)
Select WIC oﬃces (in Yadkin County, NC) will celebrate Whole Grain Sampling Day by focusing on whole grain education with their clients, and helping their clients identify whole grain products.