- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
Active time45 minutes
Total time5 hours
2 packages (¼ ounce each) active dry yeast
½ cup warm water (110° to 115°)
1 ½ cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
¼ cup molasses
4 Tbsp butter, softened, divided
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp plus ½ tsp. salt, divided
2 to 2 ½ cups all-purpose ﬂour
1 cup whole white wheat ﬂour
2 ½ cups whole rye ﬂour
1 egg white
2 tsp. caraway seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, molasses, 2 tablespoons butter, sugar and 1 tablespoon salt. Add 2 cups all-purpose ﬂour; beat until smooth. Add whole wheat ﬂour, rye ﬂour and enough remaining all-purpose ﬂour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a ﬂoured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly ﬂoured surface, divide into four portions. Roll each portion into a 14 x 6 inch rectangle. Brush with remaining butter.
- With dull edge of a table knife, score dough width-wise at 2-in. intervals. Using those marks as a guideline, make score marks widthwise across the dough. Fold dough accordion-style back and forth along creased lines. Cut folded dough into 1-in. pieces. Place each piece cut side down in a greased muﬃn cup. Brush with oil. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4-24 hours.
- When ready to bake, uncover and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, beat egg white until stiﬀ peaks form; brush over dough. Sprinkle with caraway seeds and remaining salt.
- Bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks or serve while still warm.