Classic Pumpernickel Bread
King Arthur Flour Company
Molasses and a tiny bit of cocoa powder give this bread its rich, dark color. Perfect sliced thinly as a based for canapes, or spread with sweet butter and served with cheese and fruit.
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup molasses
1 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. caraway seeds
1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1 Tbsp. active dry or 2 1/2 tsp. instant yeast
3 cups pumpernickel flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (white or traditional)
1 cup cooked, mashed potatoes
1. Combine 1 cup of water with the cornmeal in a saucepan and cook over low heat until thick, stirring often (about 5 minutes). Remove the pan from heat and add the molasses, butter, salt, sugar, caraway seeds and cocoa powder. Stir to combine and set aside to cool to lukewarm.
2. Put the remaining 1/2 cup water in a large mixing bowl and add the yeast. If using active dry, stir and let the mixture "proof" for 10 minutes. If using instant, no waiting time is necessary.
3. Add the molasses-cornmeal mixture and mashed potatoes to the yeast.
4. Stir in the pumpernickel and whole wheat flour. Mix and knead the dough at medium speed for 10 minutes.
5. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl. Sprinkle the top with flour. Cover the bowl and let rise until the dough is not quite doubled; about one hour. When the doug has risen, it will have expanded and you'll see cracks in the flour you sprinkled.
6. Shape the dough into a loaf and place in a greased 8 1/2" x 4" loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with more flour or brush with a mixture of 1 egg white beaten with a tablespoon of water.
7. Slash the top in a decorative design, and bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 55 to 65 minutes, until the center measures 200°F when measured with an instant-read thermometer. Remove from the oven, tip out of the pan, and cool completely on a rack before slicing.
You can see pictures each step of the way on the King Arthur Flour Company website.
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories: 130 , Total Fat: 2 g, (Saturated Fat: 1 g), Sodium: 200 mg, Carbohydrate: 25 g, Fiber: 6 g, Protein: 5 g.
one loaf, about 20 thin slices
serving size: one slice