Salmon & Rice Packets with Fennel, Orange & Raisins
David Dahlman / USA Rice
Adding orange zest and raisins to salmon gives the finished dish its signature flavor - and the use of foil when broiling virtually eliminates clean-up!
3 cups (585g) cooked brown rice
1/4 cup (40g) golden raisins
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 salmon fillets (6 ounces/170g each), skin removed
1 medium fresh fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
1 small red onion, thinly sliced in 8 rounds
Juice of 1 orange
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Combine rice, raisins, orange zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl.
3. Place 4 sheets of foil (12” x 12”) on large baking sheet.
4. Spoon equal amounts of rice mixture in center of each sheet. Top rice with salmon; sprinkle lightly with additional salt and pepper.
5. Top salmon with equal amounts of fennel and arrange onion slices over fennel. Squeeze juice from one orange evenly over all and drizzle with oil.
6. Wrap foil over contents and pinch ends tightly to form individual packets; broil 6 to 7 inches from heat source 20 minutes or until salmon is opaque in center.
David Dahlman - 2007 "Rice to the Rescue!" Recipe Contest Winner. Courtesy of USA Rice Federation.
Nutrition Facts: Calories - 600, Total Fat - 27g, Cholesterol - 100mg, Sodium - 430mg, Total Carbohydrate - 50g, Dietary Fiber - 5g, Protein - 39g.
makes: 4 servings