California Wild Rice, Arugula, Grapefruit, Toasted Pecan Salad
Executive Chef Craig von Foerster
A refreshing arugula salad accented with wild rice, grapefruit, and pecans tossed in a grapefruit-shallot vinaigrette.
1 cup California Wild Rice
8 cups water or stock
2 tsp. salt
1 cup pecan halves
1 Tbsp canola or rice bran oil
1 tsp. salt
2 cups grapefruit juice reduced to 1/4 cup
1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
2 Tbsp diced shallots
1/2 cup canola oil or rice bran oil
1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1 bag baby arugula
3 large grapefruit
1. Place the water, wild rice and salt in a medium pot and bring to a simmer for 30-45 minutes or until the wild rice starts to split open and soften. (Do not cook until completely open). Strain off the excess water, place in a bowl and cover with cling film to cool.
2. While the rice is cooking, make the vinaigrette. Slowly reduce the grapefruit juice to 1/4 cup over a low flame. Transfer to a small mixing bowl and add the vinegar, salt and shallot, let steep for 15 minutes. Add the canola oil in a slow steady stream while whisking constantly to emulsify. Add the pepper.
3. Wash the arugula in cold water, gently swishing to loosen any grit, let set for 5 minutes to allow any dirt to settle to the bottom and gently lift the arugula from the top and dry in a salad spinner. Set aside.
4. Toss the pecans with the canola oil and salt, spread out on a parchment paper lined sheet pan and bake in a 350-degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant.
5. Peel the grapefruit and remove each segment by cutting to the center on either side of the membrane to release the segments or supremes.
6. Toss the wild rice, grapefruit and pecans with a few tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Arugula bruises very easily so gently toss the arugula in another bowl with the remaining vinaigrette. Then gently mix the contents of the 2 bowls together and divide amongst 6 chilled plates.
This recipe was provided by the California Wild Rice Advisory Board.
Per serving: Calories - 487, Calories from Fat - 33g, Cholesterol - 0mg, Protein - 9g, Carbohydrates - 45g, Fiber - 6g, Iron - 2mg, Sodium - 1244mg, Calcium - 106mg, Vitamin A - 2496 IU, Vitamin C - 106mg.
makes: 6 servings