Buckwheat Pumpkin Muffins with Molasses-Cinnamon Glaze
Cream of Buckwheat hot cereal is a wonderful staple to have in your kitchen pantry because it makes very quick hot cereal on a cold morning. You can also grind it into flour with a little coffee or spice grinder and use it in baking.
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups Carol’s Sorghum Blend (see below)
1/2 cup cream of buckwheat cereal
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 cup chopped raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. water
1 Tbsp molasses (not blackstrap)
Carol’s Sorghum Blend
1 1/2 cups sorghum flour
1 1/2 cups potato starch
1 cup tapioca flour
Whisk together and store, tightly closed, in a dark, dry place.
For the Muffins:
1. Place a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Generously grease the cups of a jumbo 6-cup nonstick (gray, not black) muffin tin or line them with paper liners.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, beat the eggs with an electric mixer on low speed until light yellow and frothy, about 30 seconds. Add the pumpkin, oil, molasses and vanilla and beat just until blended.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. With the mixer on low speed, gradually beat the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients until the batter is smooth and slightly thickened. Stir in the pumpkin seeds and ginger. Divide the batter evenly in the muffin pan.
4. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until the muffin tops are firm and the edges start to pull away from the pan. Cool the muffins in the pan 10 minutes. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack.
For the Glaze:
1. In a small bowl, blend the powdered sugar, water, and molasses until smooth. With a small spatula or knife, spread the glaze over each muffin. Serve warm.
Carol Fenster is the author of the award-winning "1,000 Gluten Free Recipes."
6 large muffins
serving size: 1 muffin