Oatmeal Fruit Smoothies
Oatmeal is a versatile grain, but drinking oatmeal? Yup. Cook up a batch of quick oats with cranberries, honey, apples and cinnamon. Let it cool completely. Then add to a blender with yogurt, milk and bananas. Calcium, fiber, vitamin C-rich cranberries, potassium - it's all in here. Drink a glass for breakfast, lunch or a snack. It's all good!
For the Oatmeal
4 cups water
1 cup quick oats
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 apple, julienne (matchstick size) or sliced
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 cup milk
6 oz container of strawberry yogurt
1. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil
2. Add oats. Return water to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes
3. Add honey, dried cranberries, apple and cinnamon and whisk to combine
4. Simmer 5 more minutes, then remove from heat and allow to cool completely
5. Add about 1-3 cups of the cooked and cooled oatmeal, milk, yogurt and the banana to a blender and blend to a creamy texture
6. Check consistency and add more of the cooked oatmeal mixture, in increments, if thicker smoothies are desired
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories: 380 , Total Fat: 2.5 g, (Saturated Fat: 0 g), Sodium: 70 mg, Carbohydrate: 88 g, Fiber: 5 g, Protein: 8 g.
For more recipes and more information about Chef German Lam, visit Glam Foods.
serving size: about 1 glass