- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
Active time30 minutes
Total time3 hours 30 minutes
Yield1 loaf, 20 slices
Serving Size1 slice
1 cup lukewarm milk
1 cup lukewarm water
6 Tbsp butter
2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp sugar
⅓ cup nonfat dry milk
⅓ cup potato ﬂour or heaping ¾ cup potato ﬂakes
5 cups whole white wheat ﬂour
2 ¼ tsp instant yeast
- Combine all of the ingredients, and mix and knead them—by hand, mixer, or bread machine—to form a smooth, supple dough.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl or dough-rising bucket, cover the bowl or bucket, and allow the dough to rise till puﬀy though not necessarily doubled in bulk, about 1 ½ hours.
- Lightly grease a standard (13” x 4” x 4”) lidded pain de mie (pullman) pan. Transfer the risen dough to a lightly greased work surface, shape it into a log, and ﬁt it into the pan. Flatten the top as much as possible.
- Cover the pan with lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the dough to rise until it’s about ½” below the lip of the pan, about 45 minutes.
- Carefully slip the cover onto the pan, and let it rest an additional 15 minutes while you preheat your oven to 350°F. Bake the bread for 25 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven, carefully remove the lid, and return the bread to the oven to bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until it’s golden-brown on top and tests done; an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center will register 190°F.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool completely. For a soft, ﬂavorful crust, brush the loaf with melted butter while warm.
*For the very best results, the recipe recommends organic whole white wheat ﬂour. Barring that, choose regular white whole wheat ﬂour. Using a traditional whole wheat ﬂour, one milled from red wheat, won’t give you nearly the nice results that whole white wheat ﬂour will.
© 2009 The King Arthur Flour Company. All Rights Reserved.
Check out the King Arthur Flour Company website for other bakers’ comments on this recipe.
Total Fat: 4.5 g
Saturated Fat: 2.5 g
Sodium: 250 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 27 g
Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 5 g.