- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
2020 Whole Grains CONFERENCE
September 14 & 15 (Monday and Tuesday)
Sheraton Grand Rio Hotel & Resort, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Learn about whole grains in the beautiful, sunny city of Rio de Janeiro, and experience the rapidly growing whole grain market ﬁrsthand. In line with the style of previous Oldways Whole Grains Council conferences, sessions will include research updates on whole grain nutrition, food and wellness trends, whole grain culinary innovations and recipes, marketing strategies, and proven approaches for getting more people to enjoy more whole grains. Additionally, this conference will provide an update on whole grain regulation throughout the Americas, as Brazil is one of several Latin American countries currently revisiting whole grain regulation and labeling.
Latin America is the birthplace of many of the “ancient grains” that are popular today, such as quinoa and amaranth. Take this opportunity to learn about new whole grain trends that are developing, to bring home creative recipe ideas, and to exchange strategies for expanding into the growing whole grain market. And to make things even easier, note that visa-free entry to Brazil is available to citizens of the United States, Canada, Australia and Japan, eﬀective June 17, 2019.
Explore in Rio de Janeiro
Interested in immersing yourself in the local culture and food scene? Book an early ﬂight on Friday so that you can join us for a mini Oldways Culinaria through Rio on Saturday and Sunday (Sept 12th & 13th), just before the conference begins. Registered dietitians can earn an additional 7 CPEU for participating (on top of the 10 CPEU at the conference).
Saturday, September 12, 2020:
- Start the weekend with a marketplace tour to learn (and taste) Rio’s seasonal foods
- Visit an authentic Amazonian restaurant for the best açaí in the city
- Brazilian Chef Yara Roberts will lead us in a cooking class of traditional dishes, including whole grains
- After the class, we’ll enjoy a dinner of the same dishes, plus Caipirinhas, beer, and wine.
Sunday, September 13, 2020:
- A walk on Ipanema Beach and a tour of the famous Sunday Hippie Market
- Venture into the idyllic Santa Teresa neighborhood, a hilltop district with a charming, village-like vibe. Steep, winding streets are lined with elegant old mansions, quirky cocktail bars, romantic restaurants, and art galleries
- Learn about Brazil’s vibrant wines with a phenomenal wine tasting and lunch at Aprazível Restaurant in Santa Teresa. Wait until you see the amazing view from the terrace!
- See artistic and cultural treasures at the Museu Nacional de Belas Artes
- Take a samba dancing lesson and have a Caipirinha drink—you will feel like a real Carioca! After our dance lesson, you’re free afterwards to explore, eat dinner on your own, or rest up for the conference!
View the full program here.
Thank you to our organizational sponsors!
|CONFERENCE Registration Pricing|
|Early Bird Rate (ends June 15, 2020)||Standard Rate (June 16, 2020 — Sept 14, 2020)|
|WGC Members (1st person)||FREE||FREE|
|WGC Members (additional registrants)||$345||$395|
|Company Sponsors||FREE according to sponsorship level||FREE according to sponsorship level|
|RDs, Health Professionals, Government||$395||$445|
|**RDs, Health, Gov — Mon Sept 14 only||$225||$275|
|**RDs, Health, Gov — Tues Sept 15 only||$225||$275|
|Local Growers and Food Nonproﬁts||$245||$295|
All of our conferences feature top-notch speakers, delicious whole grain foods, lively audiences and plenty of networking, plus great opportunities for sponsors to showcase their whole grain creativity.
I was impressed by the number of thoughtful and in-depth presentations throughout the conference. Almost every single talk I attended was well prepared and highly informative, laying out important issues for the foodservice industry, but equally interesting for anyone wanting to learn more.
– S.G., journalist
All of the speakers were excellent and very applicable to foodservice speciﬁcally. The demos were a good addition too, and helped keep things interesting and were helpful when thinking about prep ideas for foodservice operators. – T.S., manufacturer/sponsor
What I liked best was the variety of speakers that created a well-rounded exploration of the topic. I also liked being able to connect with the sponsors at the tables and tasting all the grains in the conference meals.
– K.N., speaker
I liked that it was a diﬀerent kind of conference. There was a lot of interesting information and I brought back several ideas and hopefully ways to incorporate diﬀerent grains, but also ways to market to people so that they will try it.
– B.P., foodservice dietitian
Access Past Conference Proceedings
Our most recent conference was held November 4-6, 2018 at the Seattle Renaissance Hotel. VIEW PRESENTATIONS, PHOTOS, & RESOURCES FROM OUR 2018 CONFERENCE
You can access a wealth of materials — presentations, reports, handouts, photos, even videos — from all our previous whole grains conferences by clicking here.