- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
Active time1 hour
2 cups whole wheat pastry ﬂour or whole grain spelt ﬂour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
3 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
1 ½ cups or 1 can (6 ounces) pitted black olives, chopped
Grated zest and juice from 1 orange
½ cup currants
1 cup crystallized ginger, diced
2 tablespoons fennel seeds
1 ½ cups confectioners sugar (for glaze)
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Grease a round 9-inch cake pan, and cover with a circle of parchment paper, and grease the paper.
- Combine the ﬂour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves in a bowl and blend with a whisk. Set aside. In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, olive oil, yogurt, and 2 tablespoons of the pomegranate molasses and whisk until smooth. Stir in the dry ingredients. Fold in the olives, orange zest, currants, ginger, and fennel seeds. Stir until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the cake is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack to cool.
- When the cake has cooled slightly, but is still warm, run a knife around the edges. Put a ﬂat plate on top of the cake, ﬂip it onto the plate, then cover the cake with a serving plate and ﬂip it again.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the orange juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon of pomegranate molasses in a small saucepan, and bring just to a simmer. Add the sugar and cook for about 1 minute, whisking to form a smooth glaze. Pour the glaze over the cake and serve warm, or let cool.
An Oldways recipe
Total Fat: 13g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Total Sugar: 31g (Added Sugar: 25g)