- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
Active time45 minutes
Total time1 hour
Serving Size1/4 recipe
1 cup short grain sprouted brown rice
1-2 cups low sodium chicken broth
3 ½ tablespoons + 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
½ cup white wine
1 medium zucchini, grated
½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
salt & pepper to taste
1 bunch swiss chard leaves, chopped
1 pound fresh sea scallops
To Make the Risotto
- In a small pot, bring the rice and 3-4 cups of water to a boil. Let boil for 15 minutes, then drain oﬀ any excess water and set aside (the rice will be nearly cooked at this point).
- In a small pot, heat the broth until it is hot, but not boiling, then reduce to a simmer.
- In a medium or large pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the parboiled rice and stir for about 1 minute to coat with oil. Add the wine, and stir continuously until the liquid has absorbed and the wine has evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Add ⅓ cup of the warm broth the rice mixture, and stir frequently until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat this process a few times, until the mixture becomes creamy (We used about 1 cup of broth over a 15-20 minute period).
- Periodically taste the rice to check the texture and adjust seasonings. If hard and undercooked, continue adding broth.
- Once the broth has been absorbed and rice reaches desired texture, add the zucchini and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Stir to combine, then continue stirring until the mixture has thickened up a bit (you may want to add one more splash of broth) and reached a desired texture, about 5 minutes depending on preference. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To make the Chard and Scallops
- While the risotto is cooking, heat one large skillet over low heat and one large skillet over medium-high heat.
- In the lower-heat skillet, add 2 teaspoons of olive oil, then add the chard leaves. Use tongs to toss the leaves occasionally, and let cook until just wilted (about 5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste, as needed.
- Use a paper towel to dry the scallops. In the medium-high heat pan, warm 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil, and then add the scallops, cooking for about 3 minutes on each side (until golden brown on each side). Lightly season the tops with ¼ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- Divide the risotto among 4 bowls, then top each bowl with ¼ of the chard and ¼ of the seared scallops.
An Oldways recipe, courtesy of Kelly Toups
Total Fat: 20g
Saturated Fat: 3.5g
Total Sugar: 3g (Added Sugar: 0g)