- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
Active time45 minutes
Total time45 minutes
For the Soup:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 ½ cups chopped red onion (about 1 medium)
1 ½ cups chopped celery (½-inch pieces; about 3 stalks),
1 ½ cups chopped red bell pepper (½-inch chunks; about 1 bell pepper)
1 to 2 cloves garlic, peeled and slightly crushed
1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
½ teaspoon ﬁne sea salt
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups water, or cooking liquid from the lentils topped oﬀ with water
1 cup cracked freekeh
1 ½ cups cooked French lentils, or 1 (15-ounce) can, rinsed and drained
For the shrimp:
1 to 2 tablespoons harissa paste
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
½ teaspoon Aleppo pepper
½ teaspoon ﬁne sea salt
1 pound extra-large shrimp, shell-on or peeled and deveined
¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice, or more as needed
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh ﬂat- leaf parsley
3 tablespoons ﬁnely chopped ﬁrm dates, preferably Deglet Noor
1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges, for serving
- To make the soup, heat a large Dutch oven or heavy saucepan over medium heat. Swirl in the olive oil and wait until it shimmers. Add the onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, sage, thyme, and 1⁄4 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, water, freekeh, and the remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook until the freekeh is tender with a slight chewiness, 18 to 20 minutes. Stir in the cooked lentils.
- Meanwhile, prepare the shrimp: Place a rack about 4 inches from the broiler and heat on high for about 5 minutes. Grease a large rimmed baking sheet with olive oil or coat with cooking spray.
- Combine 1 tablespoon harissa paste (more if you like it spicy), the olive oil, turmeric, Aleppo pepper, and salt in a small bowl. Place the shrimp in a medium bowl, gently rub in the harissa mixture, and allow to marinate for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the soup is almost done. Using paper towels, gently pat dry the shrimp and place on the baking sheet.
- Broil until opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes, ﬂipping them once in between with a metal spatula.
- To ﬁnish, remove the soup from the heat and add the pepper and the lemon juice. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste. Drizzle with a bit more olive oil and sprinkle with the 1⁄4 cup parsley.
- Divide between six wide shallow bowls and place 4 to 5 shrimp on top of each. Sprinkle each with ½ tablespoon of the dates, a bit of the remaining 2 tablespoons parsley, and serve at once, with lemon wedges on the side.
Notes: You can cook the lentils while you prep your ingredients. Harissa is a traditional Tunisian chile paste infused with spices such as garlic and coriander. Look for it in well-stocked supermarkets or Middle Eastern stores.
Gluten free: Millet, buckwheat, and quinoa can be substituted to make this gluten-free. If you like, toast them ﬁrst in the empty saucepan. Immediately transfer to a medium bowl, and set aside until you’re ready to cook the grains. These grains might be done a little faster than freekeh.
Vegetarian: Drain a 14-ounce block of tofu and cut it into 12 triangles: ﬁrst cut crosswise into 6 slices and then cut each slice in half into a triangle. Marinate like the shrimp and broil until puﬀed and nicely browned, about 10 minutes total, ﬂipping once. Serve 2 triangles per person.
Make Ahead: The soup, prior to preparing the shrimp, can be made up to 2 days ahead. Allow to cool to room temperature; chill, covered. Add a little more water or broth to your liking and reheat over medium heat to a gentle simmer before ﬁxing the shrimp.
Reprinted with permission from Simply Ancient Grains by Oldways Whole Grains Council Culinary Advisor Maria Speck, copyright (c) 2015. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Penguin Random House, Inc. Photography (c) 2015 by Erin Kunkel.
Total Fat: 8g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Total Sugar: 7g (Added Sugar: 0g)