- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
Active time15 minutes
Total time55 minutes
Yield1 large round loaf, 10 to 12 inches in diameter
4 cups whole wheat pastry ﬂour
2 to 3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 ½ cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp vegetable oil or melted butter
- In a large bowl, stir together the ﬂour, sugar, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the buttermilk and the oil or butter. Stir together until blended—some lumps will remain.
- Turn the dough out onto a ﬂoured board and knead about 10 times, or until it all holds together.
- Form it into a large ball and place it on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cut a deep cross in the top.
- Bake the bread in a preheated 400°F oven for approximately 40 minutes, or until it tests done (a cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean.)
Recipe and photo courtesy of King Arthur Flour Company.