- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
Active time10 minutes
Total time35 minutes
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ cups ﬁnely chopped leek or onion
¾ teaspoon dried oregano
1 pound red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed and cut into ½-inch dice (3 cups)
¾ cup quinoa, rinsed by swishing in a bowl and drained
4 cups fresh or frozen (defrosted) corn kernels
½ pound peeled, small shrimp
1 ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup thinly sliced scallion greens
1 to 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
Popcorn for garnish, plus more for passing at the table
- In a heavy soup pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat. Add the leek and oregano. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks begin to wilt, about 4 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water (or ﬁsh or clam broth) and the potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the quinoa. Boil uncovered over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, process 3 cups of the corn kernels with 1 cup of water to create a coarse puree.
- After the quinoa has cooked for 10 minutes, stir in the corn puree and remaining corn kernels. Adjust the salt and add lots of freshly ground black pepper.
- Continue cooking until the quinoa is done (the grains should be translucent and have no opaque white dot in the center), about 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Add shrimp, and cook until shrimp turn pink, about one minute. Stir in the cilantro, scallion greens and additional tablespoon of oil.
- Add enough lime juice to sharpen the ﬂavors. Garnish with popcorn and pass additional popcorn in a bowl at the table.