- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
Active time15 minutes
Total time45 minutes
Serving Size1 scone
2 ½ cups whole wheat ﬂour (we also loved this recipe with whole grain spelt ﬂour)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cumin
1 small to medium zucchini, ﬁnely grated
4 scallions, sliced
4 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
2 eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup milk (we used nonfat, but you can substitute what you have)
Optional: 1 jalapeno pepper or 1 Hungarian hot pepper, seeded and diced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, add the ﬂour, baking powder, salt, and cumin and stir to combine.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine. Use your hands to mix the ingredients together until the mixture is evenly incorporated. The dough will be a bit sticky. (Pro tip: Wet hands are best when dealing with wet, sticky dough)
- Lightly oil a large sheet pan, and sprinkle a little bit of ﬂour onto the surface.
- Divide the dough into two evenly sized balls and dump them onto the sheet pan. Shape the dough balls into discs, then cut each disc into four quarters (like pizza slices), forming triangular wedges.
- Arrange the wedges evenly on the baking sheet, then bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Best served warm.
An Oldways Whole Grains Council recipe and photo, courtesy of Kelly Toups. Recipe adapted from Leanne Brown’s Good and Cheap. Recipe and hi-res photo (4912 x 3264) available for reprint (with credit) upon request.
Total Fat: 17g
Saturated Fat: 5g
Total Sugar: 1g (Added Sugar: 0g)