- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
Active time45 minutes
Total time1 hour
Serving Size1 burger
1 tablespoon olive oil to sauté, plus 1 tablespoon for cooking patties
½ cup yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup bulgur, uncooked
1 (14-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained and mashed
½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
½ cup fresh cilantro, minced
¾ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon cayenne
½ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 egg, slightly beaten
4 whole wheat hamburger rolls
Optional toppings: lettuce, tomato, red onion
For Lime-Cilantro Aioli:
¼ cup prepared mayonnaise
¼ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1 lime, zest and juice
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion until golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and bulgur to pan along with 1 cup of water or broth. Cover and simmer on low until water is absorbed, about 15-18 minutes.
- Put cooked bulgur in a large mixing bowl with mashed beans, breadcrumbs, cilantro, spices, and Worcestershire suace, and mix well. Taste for ﬂavor. Add slightly beaten egg and integrate into the mix.
- Form into 4 large patties (or 6 smaller ones), about ½ cups of mixture per patty.
- Chill at least 20 minutes. While patties chill, prepare aioli by pulsing all ingredients in a blender or food processor until blended. Chill until ready to use.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. When hot, drop in patties and cook until golden, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serve on whole wheat rolls with Lime-Cilantro Aioli and desired toppings (lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado).
Karen Mansur, Oldways Whole Grains Council. This recipe was adapted from a recipe in Gourmet magazine.