- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
Active time1 hour
Total time1.5 hours
1 cup uncooked sorghum, rinsed
2 pints grape tomatoes (20 ounces)
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup walnut halves
2 cans (15.5 ounces each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
¼ cup chopped parsley (about ¼ of a large bunch) plus additional (optional) for ﬁnal garnish
½ cup shaved parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium pot, bring sorghum and 3 cups of water to a boil. Simmer for 50-60 minutes, or until tender. Drain.
- While sorghum is cooking, add tomatoes, minced garlic, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to a large oven-safe dish. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Prepare a baking sheet with tinfoil. Spread walnuts onto the baking sheet.
- Remove tomatoes from the oven after 25 minutes and stir in cannellini beans. Place tomato and bean mixture and baking sheet with walnuts into the oven. Roast for 5 more minutes then remove both from oven. Once walnuts have cooled slightly, transfer to a cutting board and coarsely chop.
- Add sorghum, walnuts, parsley and parmesan to the tomato and bean mixture. Toss to combine and transfer to a large serving bowl or platter. Garnish with additional parsley, if desired. Serve immediately.
If serving cold, omit parmesan cheese and add chopped walnuts and parsley just before serving, along with a robust drizzle of your ﬁnest extra virgin olive oil.
Short on time? Try an alternative where precooked quinoa replaces the sorghum and canned seasoned tomatoes replaces the roasted tomatoes. Combine the following ingredients together: 2-½ cups precooked quinoa, 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano (not drained), 1 cup walnut halves, toasted and chopped, 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) drained and rinsed cannellini beans and ¼ cup chopped parsley. Toss gently and top with ½ cup shaved parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper.
Recipe and photo courtesy of California Walnuts
Total Fat: 17g
Saturated Fat: 2.5g