- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
Active time30 minutes + overnight
Serving Sizeabout 2/3 cup
1 cup hulled barley
4 cups water
2 slices center-cut bacon
¼ cup ﬁnely chopped red onion
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1 cup lightly packed arugula
- Place the barley in a medium glass bowl and add water to cover by 2 inches; cover and let stand at room temperature 8 hours or overnight.
- Combine drained barley and 4 cups water in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes or until barley is tender. Drain and set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until done; remove pan from heat and transfer bacon to a paper-towel lined plate. Crumble bacon when crisp. Discard all but 2 teaspoons of bacon drippings.
- Return skillet with reserved bacon drippings to heat. Add red onion and cook 2 minutes or until softened. Add reserved barley; cook 2 minutes or until barley is heated through, stirring frequently.
- Add salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar; stir to combine. Stir in arugula and cook 1 minute or until wilted. Serve hot, garnished with crumbled bacon.
Recipe courtesy of Kathryn Conrad, WGC Culinary Advisor.
Saturated Fat: 2g