- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
Active time25 minutes
Total time45 minutes
Serving Size1 scone
2 cups whole wheat ﬂour (such as Khorasan wheat ﬂour)
¼ cup sweetener of choice *
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons butter
½ cup fresh or dried cranberries
¼ cup chopped walnuts
1 cup buttermilk, plus extra for tops **
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, stir together whole wheat ﬂour, sweetener, baking powder, and salt. With ﬁngertips, cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in cranberries and walnuts.
- Make a well in the center and gradually stir in buttermilk to form a ball. Knead lightly. Do not overwork; the dough will be sticky.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly ﬂoured surface, pat or roll each portion into an 8” round, about ½” thick. Cut each round into 8 triangles. Place the scones on the baking sheet. Brush the tops with buttermilk. Sprinkle with a pinch of brown sugar, if desired. Bake for 14 – 18 minutes. Serve warm.
* If using honey, agave or other liquid sweetener, add it with the buttermilk rather than mixing it into the dry ingredients.
** Make buttermilk by putting 1 tablespoon vinegar into a 1 cup measuring cup. Fill the remainder of the cup with milk of choice (rice, almond, soy, goat, cow, etc.)
Recipe and photo courtesy of Kamut International. For more great Kamut® Khorosan recipes, visit Kamut International.