- En Español
- About us
- Sign In
- For Members
Scientists advise us all to make at least half our grains whole, and in the U.S., the new “MyPlate” graphic encourages everyone to make space for whole grains on every plate.
The Whole Grains Council’s October 17-19, 2012 conference in San Antonio, Texas, oﬀered fascinating speciﬁcs on how we can get more whole grains onto plates around the world, with useful information on consumer attitudes, new ingredients, new research, and successful promotion programs.
Tour the Highlights of this Conference
You can take a virtual tour of conference highlights below:
1. Full Program of Speakers and Sessions
Click on the link above to see the entire program of the conference, including downloadable presentations from most of the speakers.
2. Press coverage – selected highlights
Food Business News – Whole Grains Reaching Many Plates
Food Navigator – The Rise & Rise of the Whole Grain Stamp
Food Business News – Commitment Needed to Jolt Whole Grain Sales
Food Business News – Whole Grain Stamp Successful on Many Fronts
Food Navigator – Whole Grains and Health
Food Navigator – Gluten Free Myth Busting
Food Navigator – Meeting the School Lunch Guidelines
Self – Whole Grain Cooking Demo for Lunch
3. Guest Chef Luncheon Recipes
We were delighted to have San Antonio’s own Chef Keith Cruzan as our Guest Chef during the conference. He demonstrated the preparation, then we enjoyed lunch based on his recipes. Below are the whole grain recipes he shared with us.
Butternut Squash and Whole Grain Pasta with Creamy Mushroom Sauce (374K PDF)
Germinated Brown Rice Stuﬀed Portobello Mushrooms (52K PDF)
4. Reference Materials from the Conference Binder
At every Oldways conference we provide a program book packed full of background information that deepens attendees’ appreciation of the conference, with fascinating background materials. You can download this information here, for free!
Speakers’ Bios and Abstracts (Section 2, 13 pages, 246K PDF)
Check out the expertise of our speakers, and thumbnail descriptions of their presentations.
Whole Grain Momentum (Section 3, 6 pages, 168K PDF)
• Whole Grain Momentum in the News
• SPINS Market Data: Whole Grain Stamp Momentum
Whole Grain-Rich in Schools (Section 4, 18 pages, 397K PDF)
• What is Whole Grain-Rich?
• FAQ for Whole Grain Products
• USDA Memo SP 30-2012
• Challenges for Schools: a Commentary
Gluten-Free Doesn’t Mean Grain Free (Section 5, 10 pages, 221K PDF)
• What is Gluten?
• Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance
• A Wealth of Gluten-Free Grains
• Turning the Tide on Gluten
The Whole Grain Stamp (Section 6, 6 pages, 328K PDF)
• A Timeline of the Whole Grain Stamp
• Geographic Reach of the Whole Grain Stamp
• Breakdown of Stamped Products by Category
• Stamped Products are High in Whole Grain
Oldways and the Whole Grains Council (Section 7, 10 pages, 160K PDF)
• All About Oldways
• The Whole Grains Council
• Creative, Eﬀective WGC Programs Excite Interest in Whole Grains
Email Cynthia Harriman or call 617-896-4820 with any questions.
A big thanks to our conference sponsors and supporters, who helped make this conference the best one ever!